Saturday, December 16, 2006

Last Minute Christmas Shopping

Two weekends ago, we went to Rothenburg and Ulm to see the Christmas markets and to get some last minute Christmas shopping done. Rothenburg is one of everyone's favorite cities, having been spared the bombing during WWII. It still has the city wall around it, and the buildings are just beautiful. The shopping is great too. We got some goodies for my three favorite little boys - The Bartolero Bandits...

Here's the obligatory Holly & Horses photo...I can't resist these big Coldbloods. I'll have a whole bunch some day - just to look at. These are Percherons, I think. Love their "hairnets."







    John and I ate the Christmas Market crepes...filled with sugar and butter and other low-fat things...what you don't see in this picture is Spectre's drool pool on the steps.






    Here's the FurChild on one of the medieval walls on the south side. John took this while I was in the Kaethe Wolfart line (90 minutes-worth) to buy ornaments, etc. After that experience, we went straight to the gluhwein line. Ugh. Rothenburg is one of the only cities that serves weiss gluhwein, made with white wine. We personally don't like the red (normal) gluhwein - it tastes too much like Nyquil.



    In Ulm, we stayed at a vine-covered little Gasthaus that had a cute little kid running around (see picture) and amazing food. The portions were teeny-tiny but there were a lot of courses and we really enjoyed it. It's a place we'll take future houseguests just for dinner. Obviously, Spectre was more interested in the little girl than posing for the picture.















    The only bad part of the Ulm Gasthaus was their horrid choice of curtains for the washroom.





















    "How Now, Brown Towel?"



    On our way home, we stopped at the Blautopf in Blaubeuren (this cool town cut out of the "Blue" rocks.) It was so clear and deep - really gorgeous. You couldn't see all the way to the bottom, but that's just because the light wouldn't reach that far - the water was crystal clear. Here are the boys in front of it...




    The next Monday night, we got NOTHING done, as we were exhausted and had housecleaning to do that we didn't do over the weekend (note the state of the kitchen counter behind me...) I was standing in the kitchen after work, wondering which can of soup to heat up (wife of the year, huh?), and Spectre came up behind me and sat down on my feet. He's always good for a laugh...




    1 comment:

    1. Hol -

      Your blog postings make me laugh! I'm sick that I didn't even think about coming to see you guys the TWO TIMES I was in Germany this year. Uggggh! I was in Rothenburg (yes, the walled city!!), Heidelberg and Bad Schönborn in May and August. I'll be in Munich in April and just might drop in for a visit.

      Love you girl!!
      ~Becky

      ReplyDelete